Saturday, June 19, 2010

Our Blueberry Haul


This morning we went to opening weekend at a blueberry farm just outside town. The kids were able to stay focused for a reasonable amount of time despite the warm weather conditions, and we came home with almost 7 pounds of blueberries (two big bags like the one pictured above)! Actually, let me rephrase that: we checked out with almost 7 pounds of blueberries. Quite a number of them were consumed in the car on the way home...

This is just one more perk of living in a rural area. When I was a kid I don't think I actually knew where blueberries came from (trees? plants?), much less had a chance to pick and eat them right off the bushes. And boy are they delicious this way; I can hardly blame the kids for wanting to eat them by the handful. In fact, I am planning a blueberry cobbler for dessert tonight and blueberry muffins for Father's Day breakfast tomorrow. I'm wondering if it is possible to actually turn into a blueberry, like Violet in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ("I have a blueberry for a daughter!"). Gosh, let's hope not.

Today was a good indulgence of my recent Michael Pollan "know where your food comes from" kick. We're thinking about buying some grass-fed beef this fall from some friends who have a small farm and herd. I wonder if the kids will be as excited to eat burgers when they've actually previously met Bessie the Cow (actually, this family names all their cows Lord of the Rings names, so it would probably be more like Gimli the Cow or something). I can't imagine that going over as well as the berries. Then again, it's hard to imagine anything going over as well as the berries. I guess we'll see...

4 comments:

  1. I would love to do this. There is berry picking available around here too . . . I need to look into it.
    Have you kids heard the book Blueberries for Sal? Look for it a the library if they haven't :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad there were still plenty of b-berries for you guys today - last year the farm had such trouble, everything was usually gone in the first few hours!
    BTW- The library's Blueberries for Sal is at our house right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful way to spend the day! It also gives the children an appreciation of what farmers and their families provide for us. I can almost smell that blueberry cobbler now! Mom

    ReplyDelete